Wednesday, March 12, 2014

6th day after surgery - progress

Well, today has been an eventful day.  I was awakened early in the morning by a throbbing in my neck.  Yesterday, my neck (where the lymph nodes were taken out) swelled with fluid until it was quite uncomfortable - painful in fact.  So, the doctor drained the fluid and put on a bandage.  Even before going to bed we could see the fluid building up again.  So, it was no surprise to me that my neck started hurting again - I just was not expecting it at 4:00 AM.  We figured out that ice packs took the edge off the pain.  We made it through the day and in the afternoon (about 3:30 pm) the doctor installed  a pump and pumped out all the fluid.  The pump also sucked down the skin tight so the tissues would squeeze together and somehow stop the leaky drain.  My neck is still a little tender in places but there is no pain.  This will need to be in for a couple of days before they consider taking it out.

The good news is that I did get one of my chest tubes taken out - the smaller of the two.  (This may have happened yesterday).  So, at least I don't have any more tubes than I had before.  Tomorrow looks really promising for the chest tube, epidural, and catheter to come out.  I will also be changing rooms tomorrow.  It will be a BIG day.

I was able to start eating solid foods today.  I had 3 vegetable pot stickers then called it good.  I do not want to over do it.  So far it is settling well.  We will see how the night goes.

The BEST part of the day, was a visit by Elder Berube and Elder Richardson (or Richards, from Idaho).  Many of you know Elder Berube from our stake and our family connection (his sister is married to Angela's brother).  They brought a wonderful spirit with them and shared an inspiring message with us.  They administered to me and made Angela cry.  It was such a wonderful experience to have them here.  They are full of faith and ready to do whatever the Lord asks of them.

We hope so much to leave a positive impression on the staff here at MSKCC.   Angela has already enlightened some people that Mormons are Christian.  We will try to follow the spirit as we interact with different people.

I am hopeful for the future and know that Heavenly Father and Jesus are watching over us.  They know each of us and all of our trials.  If we trust in them, we can accomplish all things and accept all things that we are sent here to earth to do.

Tha ks again for all the love ans support.  -Doug-

No comments:

Post a Comment