Sunday, February 24, 2019

Beefing Up the Chemo Cocktail

Hello Everyone!  I hope you are feeling God's love for you and your family as you go through the ups and downs of life.  I hope you are able to feel the peace and comfort that our Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ are trying to bestow upon all of us.  They love us so much, and with them we can get through every trial of life and better enjoy all the good times.  Life is good with God.

I was sitting on the deck with Annie, the sunshine warming our backs.  She was working on a yarn creation with those plastic sheets with hollowed out squares.  We were talking and laughing.  It was the perfect dad moment.  I thanked Heavenly Father for allowing me a special time with Annie.  Our kids grow up so fast, you have to cherish each special moment.  Matthew turned 17 yesterday.  He is such a wonderful person.  He is fine young man and such a joy to be around.  I am so thankful for him.

Well, I know you are waiting for an update on the cancer situation, so here it is.  I had a PET scan on Tuesday.  The nurse looked at my PET scan history and skipped some of the "first timer" information.  In some ways it is nice to have certain procedures streamlined.  My picture that is in the Huntsman computer system is when I had my white hair and white beard.  The poor receptionists have to do a double or triple take to make sure I am the person I am saying I am.  One of the even suggested I update my picture.  Now, what is the fun in that 😉

I met with Dr. Chalmers on Thursday.  Angela came with me and we had a nice drive together.  We had gotten the results of the scan prior to the visit and confirmed with the doctor what the scans showed.  So, it was a mix of good news and bad news.   Good news is that a lot of the tumors had slightly reduced metabolic activity.  Slight reduction is better than no reduction, I always say 😀  The bad news is that I have some new sites showing metabolic activity, along with a few known sites with an uptick in activity.  I thought of my first oncologist who said that the sicker you are the more effective the chemo.  Since I have not been sick at all on this new chemo, I should have known it was not working as well as we hoped 😥.  Now, before you worry too much, my subsequent oncologists have not shared the same feelings.  They say improvements in treatment are allowing them to treat patients more effectively without them getting terribly sick - it really just depend on the person.

So, what do we do now.  Dr. Chalmers recommended adding another chemotherapy drug to the two I am already taking.  She said that it should not have a significant impact in my immune system, but may cause peripheral neuropathy.  If I start experiencing numbness in the finger or toes, I will have to stop the new drug.  I have had this chemo drug in the past, but neuropathy symptoms are cumulative, getting worse over time.  So we will see how much more my body can tolerate. 

We also talked about some clinical trials that will be opening up this summer in New York City - Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.  There is a doctor there that specializes in DRSCT (my cancer).  We are waiting to hear back from her about the studies and when they will be opening and what type of patients they are looking for.  She is familiar with my history and should give a good recommendation as to which study would be the best to pursue.

Angela and I really enjoyed some of the time we had during previous trips to NYC.  We may be taking another one this summer.  Please pray for us that we will recognize the inspiration Heavenly Father will send to us about treatment and these studies.  We trust Heavenly Father and Jesus and know that their plan for us is the best plan for us.  If we are to do the study, we now a way will be provided to make it happen.  We recognize our weakness and hope, through Their mercy despite our short comings, that we will recognize the revelation when it comes. 

We are so thankful for each day that we have together.  Our hearts ache and prayers are said in behalf of those that have lost loved ones. 

Well, this has turned out to be a longish blog post.  Thank you so much for your faith and prayers in our behalf.  I know that each of you have your own trials and hardships that you face.  I am humbled and truly appreciate that you would take time to pray for us, think of us, service us, and sacrifice for us.  We hope to be like you!

May God bless each of you, abundantly.

Love - Doug

1 comment:

  1. For someone who has been through as much as you have for as long as you have, I can help but think that the Good Lord has really got something up His sleeve for you. You certainly deserve the best of His blessing. I know that you sincerely seek Him to of know of His will in the next leg of your journey He will certainly guide you to know where to go. It has been an adventure for me as Angela has kept me up to date at the Rec Center. Even as hard as it has been for her to do so. She is also a great trooper to help you get through all of this. Just keep the faith as I know you will and the Lord will stay by your side. Our Prayers will continue for you as well. May you find peace.

    ReplyDelete