Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Turning a Corner....

Hello everyone - I hope this post finds you doing well and prospering - in all aspects of life.  We have so many blessings to be grateful for.

I have been doing chemo for the past few months, experiencing the normal side affects.  I ate too many pumpkin seeds and had some cramping that was not fun.  A big THANK YOU to the two brothers who came and gave me a blessing.  I keep telling myself that I will exercise more, but have not found the motivation or energy to do it consistently.  I will count wrestling children as my exercise for now.

I had a PET scan on Friday.  Angela drove me up to Huntsman.  It was good to spend some time with her.  We have been thinking about the future and our future needs.  The type of house we need when I am not as mobile.  The type of house Angela would like if she needs to be a single mom for a period of time.  Not the funnest conversations, but necessary.  We are so grateful for the health that I have enjoyed over the past five and a half years.  I have had my episodes where I needed some extra care, but I do experience relatively good health in between adventures.  We have much to be thankful for.

We met with Dr. Chalmers on Monday.  She reviewed the scan with us and interpreted some items for us.  First, the tumors have not shrunk since the last scan.  They are all the same size or larger or new.  That was not good news, but I had a feeling that might be the case.  I have been able to feel a lump in my neck for several months and it has not been getting smaller.  So, I was not very confident in the chemo.  Secondly, Dr. Chalmers mentioned some inconclusive items in the scan.  In the lung and on the abdominal lining, there was some new "smudges".  They are small enough that they cannot say for sure that it is the cancer.  They say we need to wait for another scan to see if there are any changes.  Thirdly, the radiologist is concerned about a spot in the lung.  Concerned about a possible blood clot.  So, I will have a CT scan just to confirm that there is not a blood clot.

At this point we are getting worried, but not sure how worried to be.  Dr. Chalmers then says that she is concerned that my cancer is "turning a corner" - not in a good way.  She is concerned that the cancer is spreading into the lungs and abdomen.  She cannot say for sure, but she is concerned.  This was sobering to us, but we are keeping hope and having faith that all things are working according to God's plan for our family.

As you may have guessed, we are changing the chemotherapy.  We are going back to a stronger chemotherapy that I have had success with in the past.  It involves a liquid chemotherapy that I mix in a beverage of choice and guzzle down 5 days in a row.  I need to remember which beverage it was that I used that was the least offensive.  We will do 2 cycles (6 weeks total) and then do another scan.  Dr. Chalmers recommends that we find out the effectiveness of the "new" chemo sooner than later.  Angela was in agreement. 

So, I should start the "new" chemo next week and have a scan and doctor's appointment the week before Christmas.  Hopefully it will give an additional reason to celebrate during Christmas week.  I am so thankful for my Savior Jesus Christ, His life, His sacrifice, His love, and His mercy.  I could have not gotten through this so well if it was not for the tender mercies of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  They are real and they are pouring out blessings and love for all of us.

Thank you everyone for all of your love, prayers, faith, and support.  We are so thankful for all of you!

-Doug-

2 comments:

  1. Sad to hear that the cancer has spread. You are a trooper. I understand a little about what you are going through since have stage 4 colon cancer. I’ve been on maintainable chemo for about a year now but the lasts an showed some potential cancer in my kidneys.
    When I think about you, I remember this young man nearly tipping over his chemo cart as he came around the corner at Huntsman.
    I know it’s really hard, but keep fighting. We all became good friends when you and Kevin were at Huntsman didn’t we. You and your family became close to us during that time.
    Wishing you success with this new chemo regimen. You need some positive news for a change. Dennis and Judy Stohl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure there other ways to have an exciting life, but then sometimes we are not given the choice. As long as you have gone through this I would like to think that this whole thing would just blow away and you could live the normal life again. It was hard for me to do for just over a year. I can't imagine what it's like for you, and your family to have to go this long. Your faith in our Savior and Maker I'm sure has given you the much strength and duration that you have. I continue to pray for you and your family that hopefully there can be a miracle if it be the Lords will. Take care and keep the faith. You are always in my Prayers!!

    ReplyDelete