Hello Everyone. Sorry to make you wait on the latest news. You may have heard that I had scans early in July. We have since gotten the results and have consulted with my doctors at Huntsman Cancer Institute and a doctor here in Utah Valley. So, to not keep you waiting in suspense, the tumors are back : ( They are manifesting themselves in new and unusual places. They all appear to be in the lymph node system. I have two in the upper body near the base of the neck. I have had tumors in that area before and lymph nodes have been removed in the past from that area. I have radiated that area also. So, I do not think these tumors will be a problem in the long run. I have the radiation 'sniper' at my disposal if it comes to that. (Thanks again Bobby Joe for the reference. He is awesome.)
The other tumors are in front of my spine near the lower back. I did not know I had lymph nodes in that area. I have not had any tumors in that specific area before. They are near the spine and would cause back pain if allowed to grow. So, we of course are not going to allow them to grow. (We will do our best to stop them, but we all know whose is in charge here.) I do not know what can be done for those tumors other than chemotherapy. Radiation may be an option, but I know surgery would be a drastic last measure, as they are close to the spine.
So, what do they say to do about these tumors, you ask. Well, all of the doctors agreed that taking a pill chemotherapy that has had some promising research in relation to the family of cancers mine belongs to, would be better than returning to traditional chemotherapy. This pill chemo does not attack the bone marrow and hence would not weaken my immune system. I still would feel crummy and have other slight side effects (hair turning white), but much better than the traditional IV chemo. So, we will most likely start that this week or next week. The main drawback is that you take the pills everyday - indefinitely. There is no two week break. With the side effects being less than than the traditional chemo, it may be better to be in a constant mild yuck than periodically in a big YUCK.
The other option we are looking into is immunotherapy clinical trials. There may be a trail involving sarcoma cancers that I may qualify for - not holding my breath though. This would be a dream treatment where my own immune system would kill the cancer instead of using chemo to do it. We will see.
I must say that I have really, really, really, (did I say REALLY) enjoyed that last several months of not having any treatment. It has given me a renewed appreciation for health and wellness. My heart aches for those that have chronic illness, that are in pain or discomfort everyday. They are true heroes - pressing forward each day, doing the day to day tasks that they do not feel like doing, but need to be done - so they do them. They live life the best they can and seldom complain. Thank you for your courageous example.
Now, so you do not worry too much, I have implemented some healthy lifestyle changes recently. Do not fear, I plan on continuing them as I know that can only help in the treatment process. I will not let myself fall back into the 'eat whatever I want whenever I want because I don't feel good' phase that I was in for a while. I believe that if I do my part to be as healthy as possible, Heavenly Father will bless me with the strength to fulfill all that I need to on this earth. He loves us more than we can imagine. Because of this love, He expects us to do our part, even when we do not feel like it. I know that I can turn to Him on days that are hard, and he will strengthen me and comfort me - allowing me to press forward in being a righteous husband, father, and priesthood servant.
I want to thank you again for all the faith and prayers in my behalf. I feel the power of those prayers each day when I awake. I feel blessed everyday for another day here on earth with those that I love and those that love me. I have so much to be thankful for.
Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are real. They love us and are watching over us. The angels have charge over us. In know that we all can feel the peace that only comes when we turn our lives over to them and seek their will above our own. I do not understand all things, but I know that I am loved.
-Doug-
No comments:
Post a Comment