Friday, June 7, 2013

Session 4 - Day 1 & 2

You have all heard of getting "butterflies in your stomach" right before a performance.  Well, they have a thing they call anticipatory nausea.  Because of something your body anticipates, it gives you nausea.  My stomach was applying this theory yesterday when I checked into the hospital.  It was getting nervous before I was even hooked up to anything.

A dear friend and neighbor drove me up to Huntsman.  We had a wonderful chat and were there before we knew it.  Angela and I have been surrounded by dear friends that are doing so much for us.

I got settled in and got the chemo on board.  I met up with my good friend Kevin and caught up with what has been happening since our last chemo session.  It is good to have a familiar face.  I was able to talk to my boys before they went to bed.  I watched movie with Kevin and his wife.  I talked with Angela before going to bed.

One nice thing about being here is that I am able to read more than at home.  I read from the Ensign and from a novel Angela suggested.  I did a little work, but must admit I was mentally distracted.  The nausea makes it hard to concentrate on real work and so the fun reading helped take my mind off of the physical.

Thursday morning was a slight adventure.  I ate some crackers but that didn't settle well so I tried some breakfast.  That did not go well either and I ended up giving back breakfast.  I did feel better after that and the nausea has not been as bad since.

Thursday was a good day.  I was able do a few miles - that always makes me feel a little better about the weight I am gaining.  I need to ignore my body and cravings and eat what I know is enough.  I keep forgetting to bring gum with me - that helps with the cravings.  The nausea was good most of the day.  I played "Ticker to Ride" with Kevin and his wife.  That was fun.  It took our minds off  the chemo.  Then I went to bed.

I feel like I need to type something inspiring - make it worth the time you took to read this.  I have been thinking about time and how you can't take it back - it just keeps on going.  Daniel had his preschool graduation a week or so ago.  That always reminds Angela and I of how quickly our children are growing and how quickly they change and develop.  We need to set some goals as a family - some adventures that we want to go on - and make them a priority.  I don't think I will pass by opportunities to spend time with my kids or my wife.  Focus on what is eternal and making sure you are a part of it!

-Doug-

No comments:

Post a Comment